Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

A Year has Come and Gone...With Only a Few Tears

I guess the best way to start this one is with a little background about me.  I've never been a mushy person.  Sure, I love when my husband surprises me with flowers or plans a really romantic date night for us.  But I've never been one of those girls to tear up at things.  My mom used to tell me I had no heart because I was the only woman she ever knew that could watch Steel Magnolias straight through without shedding a tear.  Not one...not once.  In fact, I can probably count on one hand all the times a movie/TV show/song/etc has made me cry...and they've all been this year.  Ever since Lila's been born I can get weepy at just about anything.  Especially if it has ANYTHING to do with a cute little baby girl.  Yep, my daughter has made me go soft.

Today is my daughter's first birthday.  In the past weeks as this day approached, I've been filled with emotions that are very new to me.  Yes, I am excited to see this milestone in her life.  But I've been very sad about it too.  My pregnancy with her was not the easiest thing in the world.  Neither was her delivery.  I was in labor for three and a half hours before they told me an emergency c-section would be needed to make sure all was well.  At 11:03am, she was here, thankfully without any complications or health issues.

Now a year later as I sit and think of all the days that have passed since then, an odd feeling comes over me.  It seems like only yesterday that we brought her home from the hospital and Tim took her on a tour of her new home.  Just yesterday when she was even to small to fill out her newborn clothes.  Just yesterday when she would sleep curled up on my chest for hours.  Now she crawls around, sometimes to fast to keep up with.  She's still so petite she can fit into her 3-6 month pants (but they've turned into cute little high waters), yet she's such a big girl.  She doesn't fall asleep on my chest any more, but sometimes she will nuzzle into my neck when she's really tired.  So much has changed so fast...still it doesn't seem possible that a year has past...still it doesn't seem possible that there was ever a time that she wasn't with us.

I've been blessed to see these days as they pass.  I'll continue to be blessed to see the days in front of us as they go by.  I just hope there comes a time that the days pass a little slower.  Until then, I'll make sure to slow down my pace a little.  To enjoy every moment I can with her as they come.  That's one thing I can make sure happens.  Happy Birthday baby girl!  Momma loves you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment